Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vegetables.

We tried our hand at growing a little garden this year and we have loved every second of it. Since we're renting and cannot dig in the ground in the back yard, we just bought a few large pots and put them on our deck. The kids have had such a fun time with this mini garden. They can't wait until I wake up every morning so that we can all go out and check on the plants and see the progress that they have made. They help me water them, take care of them, and also pick and eat the goods. We have had so much fresh pesto this summer and the kids have all loved it for the first time since they were involved in growing and picking the basil for the pesto. We've also enjoyed tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and some eggplants.
Here are the kids with the pick of the day. They could barely wait for me to hurry up and take the picture just so that they could eat the tomatoes.




Japanese eggplants are the best. They are so small and perfect for making one of my favorite dishes: stuffed eggplants. I think that next summer I might just double everything and really fill the entire little deck with vegetable pots.

2 comments:

Erka said...

Oh, the eggplants lok so good! Aren't fresh tomatoes the best? We picked a couple today too and they were oh so sweet! So have you made any zucchini bread this year yet?

Tom, Pauline, and Jacob said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I'll have to do that when we move to DC