Monday, June 02, 2008

Moving blues???

As most of you know, we moved about a month ago from Ohio to Washington. You probably also know that it was a very stressful time in our lives, with trying to sell the house; graduation and Kt's baptism; trying to figure out our new life in WA; saying goodbye to friends whom we loved dearly...and the list goes on and on. I thought that once we got past the move that things would calm down a bit and that I would hopefully be able to get my head above the water. Well, the move was a month ago, and I still feel like I'm drowning. I can't get used to living in this new place; I can't seem to get my kids into a routine; Micah has LITERALLY been sick the entire time with either the flu or a cold, so he is miserable; because of everyone being sick I yet have to explore where I live and don't even know where Rich's offices are (let alone things like the post office). I have only been at church one time (with sick kids and all) and already we've been asked to give a talk. The worst thing is that I feel so depressed that I have no desire to give a talk or get to know anyone, or do anything with anyone. At the same time I have done nothing for my schooling over the past few years (having had kids and all), thus I have received a letter from BYU saying that I have to resubmit my plan and that they "sincerely" hope I can finish in the remaining two years I have left. That would require me to do at least two to three hours of studying every day for the next two years if I want to still reach my goal and graduate from college. I have truly tried to figure out how to fit this new studying demand into my schedule for the past couple of weeks, but I just don't know how to make it happen. Somehow time just flies by so fast and before I know it it's dinner time, then baths and bed time, and somehow the day is over and I have just enough time to do dishes, or fold some clothes, or whatever it takes to meet the demands of a family of five.
I know that somehow I have to figure things out but I just don't know how at the moment. I think this is all too much for me, but even if that may be the case, it still is all mine to do and I have to find a way to make it all work.
So there it is. I truly hope I figure things out soon.

20 comments:

Christie said...

Girl, I have been there. My advice is to take it one hour at a time, literally. You are at one of the most stressful stages I have ever been through in my life. I remember making the decision that I just had to put my head down, suck it up, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You will survive- no, you will THRIVE. It's just going to take some time. Love you Juli. Call me.

Michelle Starrs said...

Oh dear, it sounds like you are feeling like you're in water up to your mouth, you can still breath but you can't even scream out for help! One thing I've learned about church assignments is that it is okay to delay or say no. So if i were you I would tell them yes, I would love to give a talk but how about next month? or two months. tell them you're overwhelmed. I think you are wonderful and if i were there i'd babysit for you 3 hours a day so you could study. I love you!

Erka said...

I think your friend Christie is right, for now you just have to make it through one hour at a time.
And don't forget that you are a strong person! You have been through and overcome simmilar stressful times and made difficult adjustments before, even at a very young age! So, Julia and I are looking forward to taking the bus one of these days and comming to visit! :)

Allison said...

Oh Juli...I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed! You are doing a great job just keeping things running with all the changes. I agree with Christie and Erka, take it just a moment at a time. Don't forget to pray. Heavenly Father knows where you are how hard things are for you. And if getting your degree is something you want to make happen maybe you'll be inspired to think of a way to do it. Ask for help from your family there...if we were closer I'd take Micah so you could study...he'd fit right in! Oh, and I think asking to post-pone your talk is a great idea!

Hang in there! We'll be up there for the wedding in a few weeks...let's hang out!

Kristine said...

HELLO?!?!? It's called the phone, so use it and please call me!!!

Kathy said...

Life is tough sometimes, isn't it?!! Get on your knees and pray. Do all you can do and let the Lord make up the rest. And give yourself a break...know that things will get easier and better with time. It's just a stressful part of life; but you've had stressful times before and you've come out on top and you'll do it again this time.
I wish you the best and know you'll make it.

Utah Dancer said...

Sweetie, we love you. You will get through this and you will come out on top like you always do. You are an amazing woman with gifts and talents and you will find the way.

Don't worry about the school thing--at least not right now. Get settled in and then take a look at it. It will seem easier then to actually think about it and know the best plan of action.

Again, you are amazing and we love you! Call anytime--you know that!

jeannie said...

I'm sure the fact that summer is now here and schools are out (or will be soon) makes it extra hard to get kids and keep them on a schedule. In all the times that we have moved, there has never been anything about them that is easy...and it was just the two of us those 7 moves, so I can't even imagine what it takes to move an entire family. I wish we lived closer, I would bring you some ice cream or something yummy!

Christy said...

Hey! Guess what! I Love you! You can do it! I have total faith in your abilities. Just put your head down and pray a lot and ask for help if you need it. Mom is there. She loves her grandkids, so I am sure she would have no problem taking care of them so you can have a little time to rest or maybe drive around and get to know the area a little.

Lisa Chanathorn said...

It sounds like so many things are being thrown your way, but just don't lose your balance. And remember, YOU'VE DONE IT BEFORE! You did it in LA and you did it in Ohio. And now, you've got family around so I hope that helps just a wee bit. I'm sorry I can't help you out tomorrow. I've been sick today and yesterday so I am now even more behind with work. And if I were you, I would simply call up my bishopric and tell them I'll need to postpone my talk. It happens all the time, it really does. And no one looks down on you for being honest about it!

The Corbridge's said...

It makes me so sad to read your post. I'm so sorry things have been so tough for you Juli. You are one of the strongest people I have ever met, like Kathy said, you've done this before and have come out on top, I know you can do it this time too.. hopefully soon. I recommend making sure you get time for you.. doing something fun for yourself at the end of the day even if the clothes aren't folded. Goodluck, you have been such a good example to me and we sure love you guys.. I hope things get better soon.

Lisa said...

I hate those times in my life where I felt I had to accomplish so much more than I was physically able to in a 24 hour period. For me, learning to say no to the extra things and doing things just 15 minutes at a time really seem to work. I wish I was there to help! It will get better - I promise. Each time we've moved, it always seemed to take about 6 months to get into the groove of things and then we were ok. We miss you!

Unknown said...

I've wanted to check and see how you are doing...sounds like such a rollercoaster...I would be feeling the EXACT same way. THINGS WILL GET BETTER! They always do. Until then, we're all thinking of and praying for you!

The Teeples said...

Oh Juli,
Just know I am thinking of you and praying for you. Hang in there. When things are rough for me I try to remember that simple statement, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."

Love ya,
Heather :)

Dr. Joel Henriod said...

Hang in there, girl! I can't imagine the stress you must feel. I hope you feel better soon. We love you and are so excited for your new adventures! What an exciting and nerve-wrecking place to be in your life. EEK!

Brooke said...

oh my goodness...we need to go shopping or something....can't wait to see you on monday...hope that does not add to the stress...hope we can help to take some of it away. i soooo understand. change is HARD. i still struggle and we have been here two years. i would say to not be so hard on yourself for a while...say NO to talks in church...(that makes me sooo mad that they do that to the "new"guys) and just take it a day at a time. i must say that a lot of the time i am feeling down out here i discover that i have not seen the sun in a while. it really does make it worse. sunny days are ahead....they just have to be.

Juli Chan said...

Thanks to all of you who wrote such supportive and encouraging comments. Things seem to be getting better and I am becoming more used to living here. Thanks so much again; I just THRIVED on reading your comments these past few days!

Lofgrens said...

Sorry we are a little late in commenting. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. I too hate those times when you are just overwhelmed - just went through one myself, moving, leaving family, and talk at church too! I'll bet your children will adjust to the weather and get better soon which will hopefully make your days a little easier. I truly believe though, that the hard times like these are given to us to humble us and to earnestly seek the Lord. Good luck with everything, and I hope things turn around and you start flashing that gorgeous smile of yours!

Lofgrens said...

Sorry we are a little late in commenting. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. I too hate those times when you are just overwhelmed - just went through one myself, moving, leaving family, and talk at church too! I'll bet your children will adjust to the weather and get better soon which will hopefully make your days a little easier. I truly believe though, that the hard times like these are given to us to humble us and to earnestly seek the Lord. Good luck with everything, and I hope things turn around and you start flashing that gorgeous smile of yours!

Laurie said...

Oh goodness, I know EXACTLY how you feel. EXACTLY. I keep reminding myself that it does take time and we just went through an ENORMOUS change. So of course things will be crazy for a while. In the middle of the roughest days, though, those thoughts don't make me feel better, but then a new day dawns and things seem better for the moment. I've found that figuring out the things that I like doing in this new place, and doing them, takes precidence over everything else for a little while. For a little while the name of the game is not plunging into depression. :) We have been traveling a lot lately (because I just need to get OUT of here), and it's made things so much easier. You love Seattle, and you need to take a minute to remember why you do. Put the BYU thing on the shelf for a little while. Not forever, just for a few weeks until things settle down. Everything will work out the way it's supposed to--I really believe that--and you can't run faster than you have strength. Hang in there. Call if you ever need someone to talk to (and complain and cry to!). Sometimes just letting it all out makes things easier! And if it makes you feel any better, we're feeling your pain with having to give talks--we're giving ones this Sunday!