Thursday, June 07, 2007

Family Hike to Prairie Oaks


Our friends the Rosvalls told us about a great little hiking area a few miles from our house called Prairie Oaks. We decided to take the kids on our first family hike. Pretty sad that it was our first time hiking with the kids! We hope to do it a lot more in the future! Kaitie and Nicki were terrified of the sounds of nature at first, but they eventually realized that the big animals on the Discovery Channel were not making those sounds. We ended up hiking about 1.5 miles and all had a great time. We were especially proud of Nicki - she never made her usual complaints of hurting legs, feet, and knees (in hope of her dad picking her up...).



Kaitie's favorite part was the rope swing - we think it was more like a hanging branch. After Rich used his weight to make sure it wasn't going to break, Kaitie swung on it over and over and loved it.



Micah was totally enthralled with the hike - he didn't make a single sound the entire hike!

5 comments:

Erka said...

Oh wow, what a cool hike!
I can see how Kaitie and Nicki were afraid at first though. That place looks like you're in a tropical island!

Cardalls said...

When we would go on our walks, I made Seth carry Luke in the Baby Bjorn. I'm impressed that you carried Micah on that hike!

Kristine said...

Looks like fun! Seeing Micah in the baby bjorn really makes him look big! He's one cute growing boy:)

Heckachan said...

i love the picture of kaitie squealing with joy as she watches rich swing on the rope!

Paul said...

I think the hanging branch/rope thing is actually a vine. I remember being so surprised with how woody they were when I swung on my first one out in Tennessee. Nothing like the green limp things I grew up seeing on cartoons.